As an organization with almost 100 years of working to better the lives of Winnipeggers through community led development, we have, over the decades, been many things to many people. The following Vision, Mission Statements, Guiding Principles and Long Term Impact were developed and refined through our 2017 strategic planning process. We worked with our membership, board, staff, and community partners to help us determine how best we can contribute to furthering the cause of social justice over the next 3 to 5 years.
A sustainable community that is caring, just and equitable
SPCW provides leadership that addresses inequity and improves social conditions through research, engagement and action
Respecting the diversity of wisdom, experience and ability present in our community, SPCW works to ensure all voices are heard.
Respecting the proverb: ‘That which you do for me, without me, you do to me’, SPCW works within the community to support and develop initiatives and solutions.
Recognizing that there is strength in the collective, SPCW creates and nurtures partnerships and coalitions that address inequity and injustice.
Recognizing the value of a principled evidenced based approach, SPCW develops and advocates for progressive and effective policies with all levels and members of government.
Respecting and supporting the 94 “Calls to Action” of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, SPCW aligns itself with actions, ideas, and movements that seek to redress the harm already caused by colonization and prevent any further systemic oppression or injustices to Indigenous Peoples.
Recognizing that the systemic changes necessary for social justice require long-term planning that integrates both the global and local, SPCW promotes our ideals and creates plans to achieve them.
Winnipeg is a community that advocates for social justice and benefits from being a just city
Goals and Objectives
- Issues for action are identified and acted upon, based on research and community priorities.
- Develop and communicate a process for determining priority issues for action
- Strengthen and utilize a process for engaging stakeholders (current and new) in addressing identified issues
- Community groups and organizations are supported to address social justice issues.
- Identify and address gaps in research and community input
- Strengthen capacity of community groups and organizations to address social justice issues
- Support efforts to influence policy
- Public awareness and engagement on social justice issues is increased.
- Increase public awareness through education and information
- Engage the public in addressing identified issues
- Increase civic participation through capacity building